Saturday, February 22, 2014

Matt Taibbi Leaves Rolling Stone, Heading For Better Funded Venture

One of my favorite stories of Learjet eco-warriors was Mr. Taibbi's boss at Rolling Stone, Jan Wenner as recounted in 2010's "That's the Last Time I Look to 'Rolling Stone' for Climate; Investing Advice: "The Climate Killers: #1 Warren Buffett" (BRK.A; BRK.B)":
...Wenner's Gulfstream jet has an optimal cruising speed of around 493 nautical miles per hour. (That figure, and the ones that follow, are based on calculations for a Gulfstream IIB, Wenner's longtime ride. In fact, according to sources, these days he may fly the slightly larger Gulfstream IV; a Wenner spokesman did not reply to calls for comment.)
...I thought this was an insightful quote ..."Lending out the jet is a huge part of Jann's starfucking," says an insider. "It's half the reason he has the plane." says an insider.
and included it in our last post on Mr. Wenner.

This seemed downright silly:
"And Wenner isn't much better when he's in town, where he has a chauffeured Mercedes to shuttle him the 15 blocks or so between his apartment and his office. Even more wasteful is his lunch routine: a private chef prepares his meal at home, then staffers drive it down to the office, don black-and-white uniforms, and serve it to him on his personal china. "It's like a scene from Gosford Park,"...
Bunch of poseurs. That was originally from 2007 when Wenner did a "Green" Issue. We did not link to it:
Here's the Ecorazzi review of Rolling Stone's Green Issue
Here's Rolling Stone's Al Gore 3.0
From Taibblog:
Thank You, Rolling Stone
Today is my last day at Rolling Stone. As of this week, I’m leaving to work for First Look Media, the new organization that’s already home to reporters like Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill and Laura Poitras.
I’ll have plenty of time to talk about the new job elsewhere. But in this space, I just want to talk about Rolling Stone, and express my thanks. Today is a very bittersweet day for me. As excited as I am about the new opportunity, I’m sad to be leaving this company.

More than 15 years ago, Rolling Stone sent a reporter, Brian Preston, to do a story on the eXile, the biweekly English-language newspaper I was editing in Moscow at the time with Mark Ames. We abused the polite Canadian Preston terribly – I think we thought we were being hospitable – and he promptly went home and wrote a story about us that was painful, funny and somewhat embarrassingly accurate. Looking back at that story now, in fact, I’m surprised that Rolling Stone managing editor Will Dana gave me a call years later, after I’d returned to the States....MORE
Here are our early (Oct. 16-17, 2013) links on Taibbi's new digs:
Adventure Capital: Ebay Founder Omidyar And NSA Nightmare Glenn Greenwald Team Up in a $250 Million Journalism Venture
Here's the Reuters piece that broke the news last night, we'll be back with more, this will probably end up being a bigger story than Bezos and the WaPo....
And:
Columbia Journalism Review: The extraordinary promise of the new Greenwald-Omidyar venture